Are Swiss pension savings transferred automatically?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I worked at a number of different jobs in the past, and also took time off in between. Now my dad told me that if I didn't ask each of my bosses to transfer my pension savings to the next company, then the money may still be sitting all over the place. I always though the pension money is transferred automaticall when I get a new job. What is the deal?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

As a general rule, you need to ask your previous pension fund to transfer your pension savings to your new pension fund when you change employers. When you leave an employer and become unemployed, you need to ask your former employer's pension fund to transfer your pension savings to a vested benefits account.

If you do not claim your pension savings and have them transferred within 2 years of changing or leaving employers, the money is transferred to the Substitute Occupational Benefit Institution. This institution then tries to contact you.

If you have failed to transfer your pension savings properly in the past, contact the 2nd Pillar Central Office for help in reclaiming your pension savings.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Vested benefits account comparison
Pension fund comparison
3a retirement account comparison