Best Way to Buy Canadian Dollars in Switzerland

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hi Moneyguru,

After long deliberation, I am finally following my heart and heading out to the Canadian wilderness. I want to get the Canadia dollars for my trip here in Switzerland as I don't imagine I could change Swiss francs there at a good rate. Credit cards/debit cards are not really an option where I am going, and I am trying to get away from that for a while. As I have a limited amount of money (10,000 francs) and I would like it to last for the duration of my stay of several months, I want to get the best deal on Canadian dollars possible.

Can you offer any tips? Thanks.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Swiss banks generally use unfavorable banknote rates when you get foreign currency in cash at the till. However, you can often get more Canadian dollars for your Swiss francs by converting your Swiss francs into euros and then changing the euros for Canadian dollars.

A quick calculation using the ZKB banknote rate currency exchange calculator shows that exchanging CHF 10,000 for CAD at the Zürcher Kantonalbank on January 18, 2018 would fetch around CAD 12,307. Exchanging the CHF 10,000 to EUR and then exchanging the EUR to CAD would leave you with CAD 12,432. That is more than 100 Canadian dollars more than you would get by changing Swiss francs directly into Canadian dollars at the till.

Most Swiss banks do not charge their own customers (who hold accounts, for example) currency exchange commissions, so making multiple exchanges will not cost you more than making a single exchange. Consider asking the bank which you use for an overview of their banknote rates and calculate whether changing your Swiss francs into U.S. dollars or euro and then changing those into Canadian dollars could help you get more Canadian dollars for your francs.

It is important to note that if you carry currency worth more than 10,000 Canadian dollars into Canada, you must declare the money to the Canadian customs authorities upon entering Canada. Be prepared to provide some proof of the source of the money.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Banknote rates and forex rates in Switzerland explained