Camper insurance for globetrotters

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.
  • BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Dear sir or madame,

We are two couples with relatively valuable motorhomes (current market value: 250,000 and 400,000 euros). We are looking for a full casco car insurance which is valid worldwide – including the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand – and is recognized in those countries.

We would like to avoid having to take out separate insurance policies for each country and having to decide on the length of our stay in each country ahead of time. Is it possible to get an insurance like this? What information do you need? The insurance term has to be at least three years, maybe longer than that.

With kind regards

  • BenutzernameMoneyguru von
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4017

The car insurance policies offered by Swiss insurance companies cover green card member countries, with some exceptions. Green card member countries include all countries in Europe except Kosovo, plus Turkey, Cyprus, Israel, Iran, Azerbaijan, Tunisia and Morocco.

Swiss car insurances generally exclude green card member countries Russia and Belarus. Some exclude the Ukraine, others do not. Some exclude Tunisia and/or Morocco. Kosovo is covered by many Swiss casco car insurance policies, but third-party liability car insurance must be purchased at the border upon entry.

In addition to green card member countries, many Swiss insurance providers include non-member countries which border the Mediterranean.

Specialized insurance is required for coverage outside of these countries. German insurance provider Tourinsure, for example, offers motorhome insurance for travel to the United States, Africa and the Arabian Peninsula in addition to Europe.

Note that even if you have international car insurance, you will generally still be required to purchase the mandatory third-party liability car insurance which many regions require drivers to purchase upon entry.

It is also worth noting that personal property inside your motorhome (not your motorhome itself) is typically covered by Swiss household insurance. Many Swiss household insurance policies also cover your motorhome itself if it is stationary and not licensed to drive on public roads.

In addition to insurance, it can also be beneficial to obtain a Carnet de Passages. This document facilitates entry into countries with your vehicle. It provides customs officials with a guarantee that the vehicle will not be sold in their country. It is issued by the Alliance Internationale de Tourisme (AIT) and the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA), and can be purchased from Swiss automobile clubs TCS and ACS. Countries for which this document is valid include Australia, New Zealand, and many Asian, African and South American countries.