Can a Swiss insurance company drop you when you make a claim?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

My personal liability company just sent me a notice that they are terminating my insurance policy. This happened just after I made my first claim for around 40,000 francs to cover a legal suit against me after I had paid premiums for close to 10 years without claims.

Can insurance companies actually terminate your contract any time they choose in Switzerland?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

In Switzerland, insurance agreements are contracts between two parties. Each party has the right to withdraw from the contract under certain conditions. Insurance companies have the right to reconsider your agreement after every claim is made.

The only exception to this rule is compulsory health insurance. An insurer cannot withdraw from a compulsory health insurance agreement under any circumstances. Only the policyholder can terminate the agreement.

Swiss supplementary health insurance providers generally abstain from terminating insurance contracts.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Interactive insurance comparisons