Can a Swiss welfare office make me support my girlfriend?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

My girlfriend applied for welfare recently and now the welfare office asked her to provide information about my income - apparently because I might have to support her. We live together, and have for a few years, but it's not like we are married or something. We always kept our financial affairs separate so I feel awkward about this whole thing. Do I have to give the welfare office my financial information and possibly support my girlfriend financially?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Although mutual support obligations normally do not apply to people who aren't legally married, an exception is made in the case of welfare.

If you have lived with another person for several years, it is assumed that your financial lives are intertwined to some degree. For this reason, your income may be taken into consideration by the welfare office when they decide how much financial support your partner is entitled to.

Note that this will primarily effect how much (or how little) money your girlfriend will receive from welfare. You normally will not be obligated to make payments to either your girlfriend or the welfare office.

Best regards from Moneyguru