Can I claim my uncle's pension money?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

My uncle just died of cancer at age 53. He had no children and I am his next of kin. Most of his savings went into his pension fund, which he never got to enjoy. Can I claim his (substantial) pension savings as his inheritance?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

While 3a retirement savings are generally distributed in keeping with Swiss inheritance rules, this does not hold true for 2a occupational pension fund savings.

Instead, pension funds follow similar inheritance rules to those applied to social security. A survivors pension is generally provided to the spouse or children of the deceased, but pension savings are not included in inheritance pools.

Some pension funds allow other beneficiaries to inherit pension savings. Others simply aborb pension savings into the pension fund when a participant dies without leaving a spouse or children.

Review your uncle's pension fund agreement or ask the pension fund directly to find out if their policies allow you to claim your uncle's pension savings.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
3a retirement account comparison