Can I claim Swiss welfare money when I live outside of Switzerland?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I am a Swiss citizen but grew up in the Philippines. My dad is Swiss, my mum is Filipina. Due to some habits I have, it has been hard for me to earn an income. Another Swiss person I met here told me that I you can get welfare payments from Switzerland as a Swiss person. It sounded like a lot of money. Is this actually possible? How do I claim it?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

As a Swiss citizen residing abroad, you have the right to request Swiss welfare support through your local Swiss embassy or consulate. Once you have submitted necessary forms and documents, your request will be reviewed to determine whether it makes more sense to repatriate you to Switzerland or to support you in your country of residence.

The amount of time you have spent in your country of residence plays a key role in determining whether or not you can receive welfare payments there. If you have spent a significant amount of time in the country, you will normally be able to receive welfare support there rather than being repatriated to Switzerland. The size of welfare handouts is determined by your income, expenses, and the cost of living in your country of residence.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Leaving Switzerland? 7 Important Financial Questions Answered