Can I Give Notice On My Swiss Health Insurance by Email?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Good day,

Can I give notice to end my health insurance policy by email or is it necessary to send the notice form by postal mail?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Swiss health insurance providers normally require signed physical notice forms from policyholders who wish to terminated their policies. This applies even if you took out the policy online.

Some insurance providers will accept copies of signed notice forms by email or fax. A good first move is to contact your insurance provider and ask what options are available.

In every case, your insurance provider must confirm the receipt of your notice. Signed notice forms sent by conventional mail should be  sent as registered mail so that you have proof of the date on which notice was given. If you send notice forms by fax or email, make sure that you receive a dated reply from your insurance provider confirming that your policy will be terminated.

If you are concerned that the notice will not reach your insurance provider on time if sent by mail, or if you do not receive a reply to your email or fax, consider visiting a branch office and giving notice in person.

It generally is not in the interest of insurance companies to lose you as a customer, so they are not likely to make an effort in helping you terminate your policy. This is especially true in the case of compulsory health insurance. Because of this, you should make sure to give notice well in advance of the deadline, and make sure that you have proof that your notice was sent and/or received.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Compulsory health insurance comparison
Supplementary health insurance comparison