Can I have mandatory health insurance from two insurance companies?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

At the end of last year I changed my health insurance (the basic, mandatory one) to a new insurance company. I filled out a form which my new insurance company gave me to cancel my old insurance but I don't recall getting any confirmation that my old insurance policy was terminated.

That got me wondering - is it possible to have mandatory health insurance at two insurance companies if you don't terminate properly or if you sign up for different policies with different insurance agents for the same year? Is there any kind of mechanism which automatically limits coverage to just one insurance policy per person?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Swiss law stipulates that when you sign up for a new compulsory health insurance policy, your new insurer is required to inform your old insurer. Only after your prospective insurance provider informs your current insurer about your new policy can that policy take effect.

However, there have been incidents where, due to miscommunications, people ended up being covered by two compulsory insurance policies and were charged premiums for both.

If you do not receive a confirmation of policy terminatation from your old insurer and you prefer to be on the safe side, contact the insurance provider and ask them to confirm whether or not your policy will be or has been terminated.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Swiss compulsory health insurance comparison