Can I keep my Swiss bank account after leaving Switzerland?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameGareththegreat
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/24/17
  • Beiträge17

I will be moving away from Switzerland soon and am curious as to whether I will be able to keep my Swiss bank account after I leave. Does anyone know how this works?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi Gareth, rules about non-residents vary between Swiss banks, with many allowing you to keep your account while others will close your account. Where you are relocating to will also play a role (some banks only keep customers moving to neighboring countries).

Banks which do let you keep your account open may charge you non-resident fees. You can find more on this topic here: /en/swiss-bank-fees-abroad

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Pillar 3a retirement savings accounts and vested benefits accounts are an exception. You will not have to close these when you leave Switzerland.

However, you cannot continue to save with these accounts and you can only access the money if you meet the conditions applicable to the pillar 3a and/or vested benefits.

Swiss bank generally do not charge non-resident fees to non-resident customers who only hold pillar 3a and/or vested benefits accounts.

Best regards from Moneyguru