Can I keep paying into my Swiss pension fund during unpaid leave?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

My wife and I will be taking 6 months off to visit friends in Brazil. Obviously most of that will be unpaid leave. We are wondering whether we can keep paying to our pension fund even when we aren't earning a salary. Is this possible?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Each pension fund has its own rules regarding unpaid vacations. Some pension funds will let you continue to make your monthly contributions while on unpaid leave. However - unless your employer continues paying his portion during your leave - you will have to cover the full contributions which are normally split between you and your employer.

Most pension funds limit the time span during which you can continue contributing during unpaid vacations (to 1 year, for example).

Because terms and conditions vary from one pension fund to another, contacting your pension fund and inquiring about their policy for unpaid vacations is a good first step.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Swiss pension funds compared
Vested benefits account comparison
Swiss 3a retirement accounts comparison
Swiss 3a retirement funds tips and comparison