Can I pay into the Swiss third pillar after withdrawing my assets?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I am of a mind to withdraw the money from one of my 3a accounts when I turn 60 and then keep paying into my other account to get the tax deduction until I turn 65, when I will withdraw the money from that account. Can I keep paying to a (different) 3a account after closing my first account?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Once you reach the legal age for withdrawing 3a assets (5 years ahead of legal retirement age), you can cash out your 3a accounts and savings at any time you choose until you reach legal retirement age (or up to 5 years past retirement age if you remain employed).

At the same time, as long as you are employed, you can continue to contribute to the third pillar and claim tax deductions.

So you can close one 3a retirement account but continue saving using additional 3a accounts.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Interactive 3a retirement account comparison
3a Retirement Funds: Things You Should Know
What Does a Swiss 3a Retirement Account Cost?
Life insurance in Switzerland explained
Pillar 3a: Maximum contributions