Can I send notice on my Swiss health insurance by email?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

For various reasons and misunderstandings, I didn't give notice on my Swiss health insurance policy even though I have applied for a new one. Seeing that the deadline is very close, I am wondering whether I can send notice by email to make sure it gets to the insurance company on time.

Is giving notice by email possible?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Swiss health insurance providers do not generally accept notices of termination by email because notices must be signed by the policyholder.

In your case, you could consider visiting a branch office or agency of your insurance provider and asking a representative provide proof that notice was given on time (by stamping the document, for example). You can then send a copy to the insurance company, or have the representative forward it for you.

Another option is to phone your insurance provider or local branch office and ask them whether they will accept a faxed or emailed copy of the notice as proof of receipt. If they are accomodating in this way, you can send a copy by email ahead of sending in your notice by post.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Terminating a Swiss compulsory health insurance policy