Can I still go to Swiss doctors after moving to Germany?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I will be moving to Germany soon but I would like to continue receiving treatment from my doctors in Switzerland. I would also like to be treated at Swiss hospitals if it becomes necessary.

How should I go about getting health insurance coverage for this setup? Would it be better to get insured by a German insurance company or a Swiss one?

Can I keep my basic Swiss health insurance and then just get an extra policy to cover emergencies in Germany?

Thanks (in advance).

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings,

If you continue to work in Switzerland after moving to Germany (or France, Italy or Austria), you can choose whether you want to keep your Swiss health insurance or take out health insurance in your country of residence.

Premiums for Swiss health insurance policyholders residing outside of Switzerland vary depending on which country you reside in. You can also apply for insurance premium reductions even after you move to a neighboring country.

Not all Swiss health insurance providers issue policies for people living outside of Switzerland and if your current insurer does not service foreign residents, you will have to find another insurer. You can also take out supplementary policies from some insurers in addition to your compulsory Swiss health insurance.

If you live in Germany and work in Switzerland, you can choose whether you want to insure your family separately (in Germany) or insure them in Switzerland along with yourself.

If you live outside of Switzerland and do not work in Switzerland, you will only be able to remain insured in Switzerland if you receive a Swiss social security pension. If you live outside of Switzerland, are not employed by a Swiss employer and do not receive a Swiss social security pension, you will not be able to keep your basic Swiss health insurance cover.

It is important to note that Swiss health insurance (compulsory and optional) primarily covers healthcare received in Switzerland. Only medical emergencies are covered outside of Switzerland. For this reason, the benefit of Swiss health insurance for non-residents is limited.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Health insurance for Swiss living abroad
Interactive Swiss health insurance comparison
Terminating Your Swiss Health Insurance Policy: Key Points
International health insurance explained
Getting Medical Treatment Outside of Switzerland: What Does Swiss Health Insurance Cover?