Can I withdraw Swiss pension fund savings when I change jobs?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I am considering a job change and want to know what would happen to my pension fund savings when I switch. Can I withdraw my pension savings when I leave my employer?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

When you leave an employer, you must ask that employer's pension fund to transfer your 2a pension fund assets to your new employer's pension fund. If you become unemployed, you must open one or more vested benefits accounts and ask your former employer's pension fund to transfer your assets to those accounts. The assets remain in your vested benefits accounts until you become employed again, at which time you must transfer them to your new employer's pension fund.

If you become fully self-employed, you can withdraw your pension funds assets because you are no longer subject to compulsory occupational pension fund savings. In that case, you could place your withdrawn 2a assets in one or more 3a savings accounts. You may also choose to join a voluntary occupational pension fund (2b) and transfer your 2a savings to that fund.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Vested benefits account comparison
3a retirement savings account comparison