Can my insurance company deny benefits if I make claims late?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I finally got around to making a claim for something which was stolen a few weeks ago. My insurance provider wrote me back saying that they will not pay the claim because I didn't inform them about the theft right away. They referenced a clause in the insurance agreement which says that I should inform them immediately when an incident occurs. Can they deny my benefits because I didn't claim fast enough?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

In Switzerland insurance companies are required to settle claims even when claims are not made on time in keeping with an insurance agrement. However, when a claim is made later than the agreed-on declaration period, the insurance company can limit the benefit to the amount which would have applied at the time that the claim should have been made. In the event that greater damage has occured in the meantime, the additional damage may not be covered.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Household insurance comparison