Can My Insurance Deny Benefits Due to Late Payment?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

As a result of misplacing a bill from my insurance company, I ended up paying a bill more than a week past the due date. As things go, my kid dropped a toy on a neigbor's car from the balcony that very week and I have to make a claim. My worry is that I might not be covered for that period of time because I hadn't paid my premium. Is this a valid concern?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

When you fail to pay a premium by the due date, you will normally receive at least one payment reminder. Eventually, you will receive a warning along with a payment ultimatum (normally at least 14 days). Only if you do not meet this payment ultimatum do you lose your insurance coverage. You remain covered by your insurance up until that point.

If you made your payment before receiving this ultimatum or at the latest before the final payment due date, your insurance should not be impacted and you should be able to file claims for covered incidents which occured during that period.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Personal liability insurance comparison