Can my Swiss pension fund force me to cash out my pension?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I read about a pension fund which limited pensions to a maximum of 48,000 francs per year. The rest had to be cashed out as a lum sum. Can pension funds in Switzerland do that?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Swiss pension funds are only legally obligated to pay you a pension based on compulsory contributions. If you make voluntary contributions to close gaps in your pension savings (when you get a raise, for example), that voluntary portion of your pension savings does not fall under the same obligation.

While most pension funds pay a pension based on your total contributions - both compulsory and voluntary - they may in some cases choose to use just part of your voluntary savings for your pension, or none at all. When your pension is not based on voluntary savings, those voluntary savings may need to be cashed out as a lump sum.

Best regards from Moneyguru