Canceling supplemental health insurance when leaving Switzerland

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I know that basic, obligatory health insurance can be canceled when I leave Switzerland, but what about supplemental health insurance policies. My outpatient insurance and hospital insurance policies only expire in a year and a half, but I expect to move abroad in 6 months. I don’t really feel like paying premiums after leaving, seeing that most of the benefits are only good in Switzerland. Does anyone know if I can cancel my supplemental health insurance policies ahead of my move?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Insurance companies are free to set the terms and conditions of supplementary health insurance policies themselves. In almost every case you will be able to cancel your supplemental insurance policies when you deregister in Switzerland.

If you would like to cancel your policies, you shouldn’t have much trouble doing this. In most cases, sending a copy of the document confirming your departure from your municipality and a letter of termination is all you need to do.

However, some insurers let you put your policies on hold for a time, rather than terminating them. If you expect to return to Switzerland within a reasonable amount of time and would like to benefit from your current insurance coverage when you come back, this can be a good option.

You generally will not pay premiums while you are away, and when you return your contract will pick up where it left off. This is a plus if you have poor health and aren’t confident that another insurer will take you on when you return to Switzerland.