Car Insurance Promotions Under False Pretenses?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Dear moneyland team,

I am a very appreciative fan of the research and publications that you produce, and that you make this important and useful information available to all free of charge. In view of corporate greed, I find it wonderful that you help educate the public, which you do so well.

Recently I had an experience that bewildered me, and I would like to share it with you, to determine if it’s moral, or even legal.

Having lived in Switzerland for years, I naturally have all the various insurances with different companies.

I recently received an SMS from a major insurance company that I have a few policies with, but not my car insurance. The SMS said I would get a free car wash voucher worth CHF 25 for requesting a non-binding offer for car insurance.

I replied and got the offer. As the crisis had just arrived, I placed it on the side and didn’t even go over it.

Then I received an email the other day from the agent saying in order to get the voucher, I must send them a copy of my current coverage.

I replied that this was not a condition of the car wash voucher offer, and that I expected the voucher nevertheless, since I complied with requesting an offer.

After several emails back and forth, I did finally receive the voucher today.

Is this acceptable behavior from them? First offering the voucher without mentioning that I'd be required to provide a copy of my current coverage policy was definitely not correct.

However I felt asking clients to then send in their current policy in order to receive the bait (voucher) did not really seem a clean way to do business.

I am aware that you most likely help with more important issues, so you need not reply to this necessarily.

I would furthermore like to ask if you could help me compare the two policies if I send you the current policy and the new offer. Is this is a service you offer?

If not, could you recommend another service which could help with this which does not have a financial motivation?

Thank you

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

moneyland.ch is not a legal consultation service. General information is provided for educational purposes only. We are not in a position to offer you definite legal advice for specific situations.

It is important to note that insurance brokers or agents may offer special promotions or services independently of the insurance companies which they represent.

As a general rule, the terms and conditions attached to the specific offer (the voucher, in this case) are the determining factor in whether or not you can claim the offer.

In any case, the insurance company or agent can make further requests in order to provide a service (a premium and coverage comparison, for example). However, it is up to you to decide whether or not you want to comply with these requests.

Premiums vary broadly based on the make of your car and on your place of residence, so these are important factors. Premiums are also strongly impacted by the types of insurance you need, such as compulsory third-party liability car insurance, comprehensive car insurance (partial casco), collision insurance (full casco) and gross negligence waivers.

According to our research, PostFinance currently offers the most affordable car insurance for many driver profiles. However, depending on the car you drive, your age, and other factors, another insurance company may be cheaper or more suitable.

Best regards from Moneyguru