Disability insurance from Swiss social security or pension fund?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

When reviewing my salary slips I noticed that I am paying a premium for disability insurance from social security. I also pay a premium for disability insurance from my company's pension fund.

If I become disabled, do I get insurance benefits from social security, my pension fund, or both?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

The insurance provided by occupational pension funds is meant to complement the insurance coverage which you get from social security. In the same way that social security insurance benefits are based on the amount contributed to social security, occupational pension fund insurance benefits are based on your pension savings.

If you become disabled, you receive both a social security pension and a pension from your pension fund.

The benefits of social security insurances are clearly defined by Swiss law. While minimum pension fund insurance benefits are legally defined, pension funds are allowed to provide higher benefits or additional insurance. Because of this, insurance benefits and premiums vary between occupational pension funds.

Best regards from Moneyguru