Do I as a housewife have to pay social security contributions after my husband reaches retirement age if he is still working?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

My husband is 5 years my senior and just turned 65. Although he has reached retirement age he is still employed, and will be for some time. I haven’t paid any Swiss social security contributions so far because I haven’t been working. Do I have to start paying my own contributions now that my husband reached retirement age?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

As long as your spouse’s annual social security contributions come to at least double the minimum contribution, or 2×478 Swiss francs (as per 2017), you do not have to pay contributions yourself.

If your spouse retires before you reach retirement age, you will have to pay the minimum contribution yourself in the interim (between the time your spouse retires and the time you reach retirement age).