Do I have to change my Swiss pension fund when I move to a new Swiss employer?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I am moving to a new employer which uses a different pension fund to my last company. The new pension fund is much less flexible than my previous one. It doesn't seem to allow early retirement and the insurance coverage is also weaker. Do I have to adopt my new company's lousey pension fund or can I stick with my current one?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

When you change employers, your pension fund savings must be transferred from your former employer's pension fund to your new employer's pension fund within 30 days from the time your new pension fund is notified of the change. This is the case regardless of the terms and conditions or financial situation of your new employer's pension fund.

However, if your new pension fund places a limit on the amount of savings you can transfer to it and your savings exceed that limit, you can have the excess savings transferred to a vested benefits foundation (or 2 separate foundations).

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Vested benefits account comparison
3a retirement account comparison