Do I have to get mandatory Swiss health insurance and supplemental insurance from the same insurance company?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Dear Moneyguru,

I want to get supplemental insurance from SWICA because it has a lot of nice perks and covers part of gym membership, climbing center, etc.

When I called about getting this insurance, the lady said I need to get my basic mandatory health insurance from SWICA in order to apply for the supplemental insurance I want. I am pretty happy with my current basic health insurance and prefer not to change if I don't have to.

Can they deny me supplemental health insurance if i do not take their mandatory health insurance?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

According to Swiss law, you do not have to take out mandatory and supplemental health insurance policies from the same insurance provider. You can use health insurance policies from multiple providers.

However, insurance companies are under no obligation to provide you with supplemental health insurance. They are only required to accept applications for compulsory health insurance. For this reason, they are allowed to place conditions - such as taking out their compulsory health insurance - for supplementary insurance applicants.

On the other hand, once you have a supplementary health insurance policy, you have every right to switch to another insurer for your compulsory health insurance policy. The insurance company cannot cancel your supplementary health insurance just because you decide to get compulsory health insurance elsewhere.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Compulsory health insurance comparison
Outpatient insurance comparison
Hospital insurance comparison