Do I need to declare Bitcoin for tax puposes in Switzerland?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• Benutzernamefrauleinhansi
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/24/17
  • Beiträge7

I own a number of Bitcoin as an investment experiment and am a bit confused as to whether or not these need to be included in my total wealth for wealth tax calculation purposes in Switzerland. If so, what CHF rate would be used to value my Bitcoin? Any ideas?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Bitcoin, along with other cryptocurrencies and tokens, should be declared on your tax returns in the same way as shares, bonds, precious metals and other investments. The value of the assets at the end of the calendar year is the value you must enter for those investments on your tax return.

Note: moneyland.ch is not a tax advisory service. If you invest heavily or frequently in cryptocurrencies or blockchain tokens, consulting a tax advisor who specializes in the taxation of blockchain assets is recommended.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Initial coin offerings – 12 tips for investors