Do I need to get a 3-year health insurance contract?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I'm new in Switzerland and met with an insurance agent about getting the required health insurance. He told me that I should sign up for a 3-year contract for the extra health insurance to get the full benefit. Would you recommend getting a long-term health insurance contract?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Insurance policies can be taken out in terms of 1 year. You are under no obligation to get insurance with a longer term, and doing so is generally a bad idea in the case of compulsory health insurance because premiums change annually.

Keeping a short insurance term allows you to compare and switch to a cheaper compulsory health insurance at the end of the year if you choose to.

Longer terms can make sense in the case of supplementary health insurance because policies have qualifying periods (1 year, for example) before you can take advantage of certain benefits. This is often the case with regards to dental benefits and maternity benefits.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Compulsory health insurance comparison
Supplementary health insurance comparison