Does Swiss accident insurance cover me outside of Switzerland?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I live an active lifestyle and often travel to take part in sporting events, outdoor activities and the like. Should I get travel insurance which pays for medical care if I have an accident or does the accident insurance I get from my company cover that?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

The accident insurance which you receive through your Swiss employer covers accidents which occur outside of Switzerland as well. Medical expenses are covered up to a maximum of twice the cost of equivalent treatment in Switzerland.

If you want additional international accident insurance because you travel to countries where costs are very high, you can get this extra coverage by taking out a supplementary health insurance policy which provides high levels of travel medical expenses insurance.

Just select the "Medical costs abroad" filter in the moneyland.ch supplemental health insurance comparison to limit results to policies which include international coverage for accidents and illnesses. The sort tool lets you sort results based on the coverage for "Medical costs abroad" which they provide instead of by costs.

An alternative is to get travel insurance which includes generous medical expenses insurance. Just select "Medical costs abroad" under "Additional insurance" in the interactive travel insurance comparison on moneyland.ch to limit results to policies which include medical insurance. You can also use the "Medical costs" sort tool to list policies based on the medical insurance they provide instead of by costs.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Interim accident insurance explained
Extreme sports: What does basic accident insurance cover?