Excluding property from household insurance

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Is there a way I can exclude certain items from my Swiss household insurance policy? I really don't care about insuring my furniture or electronics which basically become worthless faster than you can blink. Pretty much I only want to insure some sentimental items and works of fine art, plus cash I keep in my house and a few other things.

My worry is that if I choose a low benefit amount which represents the value of the few things I really care about, that when something happens the insurance company will estimate the full value of all my junk and then claim that I am underinsured and reffuse to pay the benefits.

Can I list everything I do not want covered so that they exclude these from their value estimates when I make claims?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Some insurance companies provide the option of excluding specific items of personal property from household insurance coverage. Excluding items with subjective value like collections and antiques - assuming you are not interested in insuraning these - can make sense because the value of such items can easily be over-inflated by insuranc companies which may subsequently slash benefits by claiming that you are underinsured. Excluding items which you are not interested in replacing is another option, and can help you get lower premiums by reducing your sum insured.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Underinsurance explained
Overinsurance explained
Household insurance comparison