Extra voluntary Swiss occupational pension fund contributions for foreigners

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I just moved to Switzerland and have been enrolled in a pension fund by my employer. I read something about being able to make extra, voluntary contributions to my Swiss pension fund to make up for all the contributions which I would need to make to achieve a pension based on my current salary.

Obviously this would be very advatageous because I could catch up for all the years before I moved to Switzerland. I could also deduct a huge amount of money from my taxable income. Do I understand this correctly, or am I totally off target?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there and welcome to Switzerland,

There are limitations on the 2a pension fund contributions which people who have recently moved to Switzerland and have never been members of Swiss occupational pension funds can make in addition to compulsory contributions.

During your first 5 years as a Swiss occupational pension fund member, your voluntary contributions cannot exceed 20% of your coordinated salary (the part of your salary insured by your pension fund).

After 5 years as a pension fund member, you will be allowed to close the gap in your pension in full.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Swiss 3a retirement account comparison