Family Office Fees Switzerland

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• Benutzernamewoolwichthames
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/19
  • Beiträge7

I have a wealth management account type "advise" with a Swiss bank. I pay 1.1 percent per year.

A Swiss family office told me that if I work with them I can keep the same account number and the same funds, and I can pay less owing to the fact that they negotiate with many banks.

This means I will pay the family office plus bank fees. Is it realistic to pay less than 1.1 percent as claimed?

What are the risks to consider?

Best regards

• Benutzernameharold
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/24/17
  • Beiträge58

It is certainly possible and highly likely that the family office benefits from institutional pricing, which is generally much more favorable than pricing for private individuals. So it could easily offer you lower pricing for the same product.

The question to ask yourself is whether you need the services provided by the family office. Do you need concierge services, legal services, property management, etc? If all you need is asset management, then you can comfortably avoid the family office fees. You can also radically reduce your asset management costs by moving to a more affordable Swiss asset management service.

You certainly can find better than 1.1% per annum. That is especially true if the 1.1% is the asset management fee and fund costs (TERs) are deducted on top of that. Swiss banks now have Internet-based asset management services with flat fees as low as 0.75% plus 0.25% fund costs (PostFinance) or 0.45% plus 0.5% fund costs (Swissquote, with more than 350,000 francs of assets). Swiss non-bank asset management services like True Wealth charge as little as 0.5% in total (including fund costs), depending on how many assets you hold with them.

You can use the asset management comparison right here on moneyland.ch to get a good idea of how much you could save.

These low-cost Swiss asset management services generally use passive management, and invest mainly in passive ETFs and index funds. If you have been using a Swiss private bank which actively seeks out and invests in specialized investments, there is a chance that returns may be slightly lower (or not). Otherwise, passive investing generally bears less risk than active investing.

As far as risks with regards to family offices are concerned: Using a family office often requires making the family office a trustee or giving power of attorney over your bank accounts and investments. You will want to make sure that this third party is reputable and reliable before granting it that kind of power.

• Benutzernamewoolwichthames
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/19
  • Beiträge7

Many thanks for for your prompt reply.

Here I further clarify my situation:

I have Swiss bank wealth management account "advise" type. I pay 1.1 percent.

I have 40 institutional funds in the account without kickbacks. I usually change 3 institutional funds (buy and sell) per year. I receive a yearly income statement of tax declaration for my actual country of residence. Of course funds charge their own TER which is deducted from fund results. I do not pay separately.

According to the family office, I will keep the same account number and the same institutional funds in the account. Roughly 3 purchases and sales of institutional funds per year.

They say the total cost of the bank plus the family office comission will be lower than 1.1 percent.

I do not know whether my securities will still be in the same bank or another bank.

I am happy with the bank because they have a card reader plus machine. I can check my account safely whenever I want. Is your advice the same?

Best regards

• Benutzernameharold
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/24/17
  • Beiträge58

If you do not live in Switzerland, the 1.1% looks a lot more attractive. The reason is that the cheapest Swiss asset management services are only available to residents. Also, most (but not all) cheap digital asset managers do not let you choose which funds you want to use, and which to buy and sell. You simply get a canned portfolio.

On the other hand, if you will pay approximately the same fees in total as you do now, you have to look at the added value which you get from using the family office.

As I stated earlier, the most important criterion is that the family office is completely trustworthy because you are essentially giving them control of your assets, akin to an independent asset manager. So, it's a tradeoff of added risk of adding a third party (this risk is small if you use a reputable family office) against the added value provided by the family office.