Full insurance vs autonomous Swiss pension fund

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I have gotten my startup in Switzerland to the point where we can take on some employees. So the next step is choosing a pension fund for compulsory pension savings.

Now I am not sure whether a semi-autonomous pension fund or a fully insured pension fund would be the better choice for my employees. Which is better, more profitable and more attractive to employees?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings,

Swiss 2a pension funds based on the full insurance model are fully insured by an insurance provider. All insurance benefits provided by the pension fund, including old-age pensions, death benefits, disability benefits and survivors pensions are insured by a reinsurance provider.

Pension funds which use the semi-automous model are partially insured. For example, death and disability benefits may be insured by a reinsurance provider, while old age pensions are the sole responsibility of the pension fund.

Fully-automous pension funds bear full responsibility for all the benefits they provide.

As an employer, you participate in your pension fund and share responsibility for its solvency. If your business cannot afford to contribute towards the cost of possible losses (as is the case with most small businesses and startups), then the fully-insured pension fund model is generally the safest choice for both your business and your employees.

Best regards from moneyguru

More on this topic:
Occupational accident insurance explained