What are the implications for the regular full time job if being classified as a professional investor

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• Benutzernamesdarg
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit6/4/21
  • Beiträge2

Hi!

I am planning to move to Switzerland once I find a job there. Because I trade on the stock market and cryptocurrencies using automated tools to trade my strategies (also trading futures markets) I will be making many trades each year. I can imagine that the swiss tax office will classify me as a professional trader/investor.

My question is, does it mean that I am not allowed to work my regular full time job if they classify me as professional investor? Or in general does it have (what are the) implications regarding my regular job in that case?

Thank you!

• BenutzernameMister Banks
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit8/16/15
  • Beiträge175

As far as I know, there are no consequences. You can continue to pursue your full-time job. If you are assessed as a professional investor, this simply has tax disadvantages for you. This has no direct influence on your further job. To be on the safe side, it might make sense to talk to a tax advisor.

• Benutzernamesdarg
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit6/4/21
  • Beiträge2

Thank you for your response! I will definitely look for tax advisor's help when the time to take the step comes. I am gathering information now to see if/where/when I should move.

As a follow-up question: If I get assessed as a professional investor, do I have to create some kind of a company entity? Or can I continue doing that as a private person?

Thank you!