Getting health insurance in Switzerland with pre-existing health issues

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hi all. I will be relocating to Switzerland shortly and want to know whether I will be able to get health insurance there although I have serious health issues. From what I gather, it seems health insurance in Switzerland is obligatory by law. Does that mean insurance companies cannot refuse to take me on even though I am obviously a poor investment? How would my health problems affect my premiums and deductible?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Basic health insurance is obligatory in Switzerland and you will be required to take out a compulsory health insurance policy after arriving in Switzerland. Insurance companies have to accept you as a basic health insurance customer regardless of your health condition. You do not have to take medical examinations or provide proof of good health to be eligible.

Basic health insurance covers almost all major healthcare expenses. You can find a list of coverage provided here:

/en/basic-swiss-health-insurance-costs-covered-overview

In addition to basic health insurance, Swiss insurance companies also offer various supplementary insurance policies. Insurers can accept or deny applications for supplemental health insurance, such as extra coverage for medical care abroad or private-ward hospital insurance, based on your health and other criteria.