Getting reimbursed by Swiss health insurance companies

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

How long do I need to wait before my health insurance company reimburses my medical expenses? I can't really afford to wait for ages to be reimbursed after spending all my money on a major doctor bill. Which insurance companies are quickest to reimburse?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings,

Depending on your insurer and on the types of medical expenses involved, claims may be settled using either indirect settlement (knows as "tiers garant" in Switzerland) or direct settlement (tiers payant).

When indirect settlement is used, you pay your medical bills first and then claim reimbursement from the insurance company for covered expenses (minus your deductible and coinsurance).

Each health insurance company has its own procedure for handling indirect settlement. No time limits are stipulated by law. You can find the average claim reimbursement periods of each insurance provider on the "Info" pages of individual policies listed in the unbiased moneyland.ch health insurance comparison.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Health insurance claim settlement periods explained