Government health insurance in Switzerland

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I head that Switzerland has a public health insurance system which anybody can join. Where can I find this insurance and what does it cost?

I want the cheapest possible health insurance for my family and don't like having to switch between private insurance companies every time they change their premiums.

thanks

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Switzerland does not maintain a government-run health insurance scheme. Instead, a large number of private health insurance providers operate competitively.

However, basic health insurance is compulsory for all residents. Although compulsory health insurance policies are issued by many different insurance companies, the coverage provided is dicatated by law so it is identical across all policies.

The main differences between insurance providers are the premiums charged, customer service and the way in which claims are handled. You can compare premiums, find customer satisfaction ratings and get information about average reimbursement periods for indirect settlements in the moneyland.ch health insurance comparison.

In addition to basic, compulsory health insurance policies, many Swiss insurers also offer supplementary outpatient insurance, hospital insurance, travel medical insurance and dental insurance policies.

Best regards from Moneyguru