Health examinations when joining pension fund?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

After a period of unemployment I finally found another job. What is totally weird is that my new employer's pension fund sent me a long questionaire about my health and even expect me to get an AIDS test no. Aside from that being an invasion of my privacy, I don't see how in the world my health has any impact on my pension. It almost seems like I am applying for life insurance or health insurance and not just signing up to a pension fund. Can you shed some light on what exactly is going on here?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

As you noted, a pension fund is not life insurance or health insurance (although certain insurance coverage is provided), so you cannot be required to provide sensitive health information in order to join a basic, compulsory 2a occupational pension fund in itself.

However, many 2a occupational pension funds also provide additional insurance (life insurance or disability insurance, for example) above what is legally required. In this case, the pension fund may ask you to provide information about pre-existing conditions.

The pension fund should cover the cost of examinations, and should refer you to a physician which should undertake the examination on behalf of the pension fund confidentially. You should not be required to provide sensitive medical information directly to the pension fund.

This information can only be applied towards the additional insurance, which means the extra benefits may not be paid out (if you become disabled, for example) when pre-existing conditions are the cause. You will receive the compulsory coverage no matter what your health condition. Furthermore, additional benefits can only be denied based on pre-existing conditions during the first 5 years in which you are insured. After that, you will receive the full additional benefits regardless of pre-existing conditions.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Swiss compulsory health insurance comparison
Swiss supplementary health insurance comparison
Swiss 3a retirement account comparison