Health insurance for newborns

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

How do I get health insurance for my baby? Do I have to get insurance before the birth to make sure everything is covered from the start?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

You are not required to take out compulsory health insurance for your baby until up to 3 months after you give birth. When you do take out insurance, it covers your baby retrospectively from birth. You also pay insurance premiums in arrears.

Maternity care and health issues arising during your pregnancy are covered by your own insurance policies. Hospital costs related to delivering your baby are also covered by your policies.

However, taking out health insurance ahead of your baby's birth is not a bad idea because it saves you having to deal with this after the birth when you will likely have your hands full. You can find the best deal on health insurance for kids using the moneyland.ch health insurance comparison.

If you want to get optional, non-compulsory insurance coverage for your baby, it can be a good idea to get this before the baby is born. The reason for this is that insurance providers are not obligated to provide non-compulsory health insurance to applicants. It may be difficult or impossible to get supplementary insurance if your baby is born with serious health complications.

You can use the supplemental health insurance comparison and the hospital insurance comparison to find the best deals on the coverage you want.

Best regards from Moneyguru