Hidden costs when buying stocks in Switzerland

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Dear Moneyland team,

I plan on buying 100 Galenica-Sante shares for 3900 francs. After coming to the hard realization that the information I receive from banks is not reliable I have decided to make the extra effort to compare.

It seems that at the end of the day there are always hidden costs involved with purchasing shares and collecting profits and dividends which take a serious bite out of the money I finally receive in my bank account. I hope you and your comparisons can help me find the information I need. Do you have a comparison which includes Truewealth.ch?

Thanks and kind regards

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings,

There are many different kinds of fees which may apply to Swiss stock market transactions:

• Custodial fees for holding your securities in a custody account.
  • Brokerage fees and other transaction-based fees.
  • Foreign currency exchange fees if you purchase or sell securities internationally.
  • Additional fees which vary between brokers.
  • Stock exchange fees (such as the fees charged by the SIX Swiss Exchange or the Bern Exchange).
  • Transfer fees: These only apply when you change stock brokers and transfer your securities.
  • Stamp duties: This tax is levied by the Swiss federal government on securities transactions.

The easiest way to compare all costs is to use the interactive broker comparison on moneyland.ch. The comparison automatically accounts for all possible fees based on the profile you select to help you find the cheapest broker for your specific trading needs.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
The Costs of Online Trading Explained
Stock Exchange Fees Compared
Swiss Custody Fees Compared