Household insurance shared flat

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Good day,

My son is a student and has stayed in a shared flat during the week for the past 4 years. However, my home is still his primary residence because he has stayed with me (his mother) before he moved to the flat part-time. 

His father and I are divorced and his father signed as guarantor for the contract on the shared flat and his name is on the rental contract.

My insurance provider assured me that my liability insurance covers my son even though he stays at the shared flat part-time. However, I did not ask them about how my household insurance covers him.

Now his shared flat was hit by a theft and my insurance does not want to cover the loss.

How can my liability insurance cover him but not my household insurance? They appear to be just one policy (the Prisma Flex policy).

Hi father's insurance has issues with covering the claim because our son is not registered at his dad's address, but if he had been registered at his dad's, they would pay without issues.

Do some insurance companies pay out benefits which others do not?

Thank you for clarifying this.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Although household insurance and personal liability insurance are often sold as a package, the terms and conditions of household and personal liability insurance are very different.

Personal liability insurance covers all members of a household including spouses or registered partners and unemployed children living in the same household. This coverage applies regardless of where incidents take place, so your liability insurance covers your son as long as he lives with you at least part of the time and remains unemployed.

Household insurance covers personal property held in specific locations listed in your policy. Both your own personal property and that belonging to members of your household is covered. You can extend coverage by specifying additional locations in your policy or by adding optional coverage for simple theft outside the home.

Here are your options:

1. If the primary renter of the shared apartment took out household insurance, their household insurance may cover other people staying at the apartment as guests.

2. If your husband added your son's apartment which he signed for as an additional primary residence on his insurance policy, he may be able to claim on losses incurred by your son as "guest" losses because your son is not part of his household.

3. If your household insurance includes optional coverage for simple theft away from home, it should cover your sons possessions as long as he is unemployed and maintains his primary residence with you. However, there may be limits on how long items can remain outside of your home while still being covered. The "simple theft away from home" coverage which comes with the Prisma Flex policy from Generali cover items temporarily held outside of your home for up to 24 months.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Simple theft away from home
Insurance for shared homes