How are Swiss vested benefits divided during a divorce?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I have been unemployed for some time now and my pension savings are sitting in a vested benefits account. My husband and I have agreed to getting a divorce and now I am wondering what will happen to my pension savings. Do I have to share the money in my vested benefits account with my husband?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

During a divorce, 2a pension and cadre insurance savings which have accumulated during the marriage are divided evenly and split between the two people involved.

If the people involved are employed, any money they receive from their spouse's pension savings must be used to close gaps in their pension. If no pension fund gaps exist or if money remains after closing gaps, the remaining money must be placed in one or two vested benefits accounts.

If you are unemployed, the money which you receive from your spouse's pension fund must be placed in one or two vested benefits accounts. You can transfer the money to a pension fund if you become employed or withdraw it from your vested benefits accounts when you reach retirement age.

Note: Pension savings are split regardless of marital agreements regarding the division of assets. The person who is eligible to receive money from their spouse's pension savings can choose to forfeit the splitting. However, the divorce judge will decide whether this is acceptable based on that person's pension savings.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Vested benefits account comparison