How long can I claim unemployment benefits in Switzerland?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I just became unemployed and will be going to the unemployment office this afternoon. I would like to go armed with some basic knowledge. My main question is, how long should I receive unemployment benefits in Switzerland? Is there a time limit or do I keep getting benefits until I find a job?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

That depends on how long you have worked and contributed to the unemployment insurance scheme. If you earn at least CHF 500 per month while you are employed in Switzerland, your employer is required to deduct your unemployment insurance premiums from your salary.

You must contribute to the scheme for a minimum of 12 months to be entitled to unemployment benefits.

If you worked and contributed for at least 12 - 18 months, you can receive unemployment benefits for up to 260 working days (up to 200 days if you are under the age of 25).

If you worked and contributed for at least 18 - 24 months before becoming unemployed, you can claim up to 400 working days worth of unemployment benefits.

If you worked and contributed for at least 22 - 24 months prior to becoming unemployed and are above the age of 55, you can claim unemployment benefits for up to 520 working days.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Interim accident insurance explained

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hi Moneyguru,

I've recently become unemployed after around 2 years of working in Switzerland, and I've started receiving Swiss unemployment benefits.

I am thinking of leaving Switzerland to look for work in the UK. I naturally assumed I would continue to receive my unemployment insurance benefits until the end of the benefit term. I am counting on the insurance benefits to live on until I find work.

But I was chatting with an acquaintance recently, and they seemed to think that I could not get the insurance benefits anymore if I left Switzerland.

Is that true? Do I lose my right to insurance benefits if I move to the UK?

Thank you for your help with this

• OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

It is possible to continue receiving Swiss unemployment benefits while looking for employment in EU and EFTA member countries. However, you can only receive benefits for a maximum of 3 months, instead of the full term that applies when you reside in Switzerland.

In order to remain eligible to receive unemployment benefits after leaving, you have to be available for contact by the Swiss unemployment office for at least 4 weeks after becoming unemployed. You must also register with the unemployment office in the country you move to.

• Benutzernamedarth
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit12/7/19
  • Beiträge3

Hi there

If you have worked for a company in EU for 3-4 years and moved internally within the same company to their Zurich office and then you become unemployed before completing 12 months in Switzerland, are the previous year counting the same as having been in Switzerland?

What kind of unemployment benefit are you entitled to in that case?

Also would unemployment benefits affect your application for Swiss Citizenship in the Canton of Zurich?

Thanks

• OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi darth,

If you were employed and made social security contributions in an EU or EFTA country prior to taking up residence in Switzerland, that employment counts towards the 12 months of employment required to claim Swiss social unemployment insurance benefits.

The primary requirement is that you must have taken up employment from the time you became resident in Switzerland. In other words, you have to have been employed (in an EU/EFTA country or in Switzerland or both) on an uninterrupted basis for a minimum of 12 months.

Regarding applications for naturalization in Switzerland: In the Canton of Zurich, receiving unemployment insurance benefits does not affect your application for citizenship.

Although financial independence is a requirement for naturalization, social unemployment insurance is an insurance and benefits count as earned income. You paid unemployment insurance premiums and you have the right to claim benefits, as with any other insurance.

This sets unemployment insurance apart from welfare, which is a subsidy. If you claim welfare subsidies, you may not be able to obtain citizenship.

• Benutzernamedarth
  • Status Member
  • Beiträge3

Many thanks Moneyguru!

And if that previous country was UK which is currently part of EU, and by the time the unemployment benefit is required, UK is not part of EU, what would the rule be?

For instance would it mean that when you worked in UK, UK was part of EU and as such contributions counted as normal?

Or that if UK is not part of EU anymore and you worked there the 12 months prior to arriving in Switzerland then you do not qualify for unemployment benefit here because you didn't complete the 12 months in Switzerland yet?

Thanks

• Benutzernamedarth
  • Status Member
  • Beiträge3

Hi there,

Happy new year!

Any update on this?

Thanks.

• OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi darth,

The UK-Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement, signed between the governments of the UK and Switzerland, maintains the provisions of Article 65 of Regulation (EC) No 883/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council.

This article stipulates the accounting for of employment carried out in member states other than the competent state.

This indicates that employment in the UK prior to employment in Switzerland will continue to count towards the minimum contribution period for Swiss unemployment benefits.

• Benutzernamevs.saiti
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit3/1/20
  • Beiträge1

Dear Sir,

A year ago I worked on a horse farm in Switzerland. After a month the owner of the farm gave me only 1000 CHF, even our deal it was 1800 CHF. I could not do anything because I am from North Macedonia, which means I do not have a right to work in Switzerland.

I would appreciate any advice from you.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards.

• Benutzernameantonio
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/24/17
  • Beiträge39

There are two possible reasons why the salary which you received was lower than the salary you expected:

1. Withholding tax and social security. If you were legally employed in Switzerland, your employer was obliged to deduct withholding taxes and social security contributions from your salary. This would have resulted in your net salary being a fair bit lower than your gross salary. However, it would not result in a deduction of 800 francs from a 1800-franc salary. If you were legally employed, consider contacting the responsible Swiss social security office to inquire as to whether the deductions are correct.

2. If you were employed without a legally binding employment contract, you do not have a legal claim to a salary. While a verbal agreement can be considered a legal contract in some cases, proving this agreement may be difficult or impossible. When you work in Switzerland you are legally required to have the correct residence permit. Withholding tax and social security contributions must be withheld from your salary. If you were not working legally, your chances of recovering the money are not great. You can explain your situation to the social security office, but that may mean fines and other legal action both against you and the Swiss employer. Probably not worth it for a couple hundred francs. Make sure to get a proper work permit and legal contract when you work in Switzerland.