How long do I have to pay in to get a Swiss pension?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I am Swiss but spent most of my life traveling. I just returned to Switzerland and managed to find a job. I will turn 64 in just over a year and want to know whether I can claim a pension then, event though I have never paid to social security until now. Can I get a pension? How much money will I get?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Your Swiss social security pension (1a) and occupational pension (2a) are both based on the length of time over which you contributed to the scheme and the size of contributions. If you only pay into these schemes for 1 or 2 years, you will receive a pension which reflects the contributions you paid. Unlike some other countries, Switzerland does not guarantee a minimum pension to all citizens.

However, if you are entitled to any kind of social security pension at all and you reside in Switzerland, you may be eligible to receive supplementary old-age benefits from your social security office. This effectively extends your social security pension up to an amount considered necessary to maintain a decent standard of living.

The exact requirements and regulations vary depending on where in Switzerland you live, as do the amounts of money you are entitled to receive. Pro Senectute provides an supplementary benefits calculator which can help you get an idea of the amount of benefits you may be entitled to recieve in addition to your pension.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
3a retirement savings account comparison
Vested benefits account comparison