How many Swiss vested benefits accounts can I open?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I would like to keep my pension fund savings in as many vested benefits accounts as possible in order to stagger withdrawals. How many vested benefits accounts am I allowed to open? Is there a limit?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

When you leave an employer you can transfer your pension savings into a maximum of 2 vested benefits accounts.

Because you cannot add to an existing vested benefits account, there may be times when you are forced to open new accounts even when you already have two existing accounts. This may ocur when you are unemployed and have placed your vested benefits into two accounts, and then you divorce and receive part of your spouse's pension savings - necessitating a third vested benefits account. This is perfectly legal and cannot be avoided in some situations.

Having several vested benefits accounts is beneficial because these acounts must be cashed out in full and closed when you want to withdraw money. Having several accounts lets you stagger the withdrawal of pension savings to avoid being pushed into a high tax bracket (which would be the case if you received a large amount of money in one shot).

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Vested benefits account comparison
How many vested benefits accounts can you open?