How to keep my pension fund after becoming self-employed

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I am working towards leaving my 9 to 5 and becoming self-employed as a freelancer. Does anyone know of a way that I can keep my current pension fund after leaving my employer? Is there any way I can keep contributing to the second pillar?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Swiss 2a occupational pension funds are connected to employers rather than employees and generally do not allow self-employed or unemployed individuals to participate.

However there are a number of solutions which allow you to continue contributing to your second pillar pension savings on a voluntary basis. The term "2b" is often used in reference to voluntary second pillar pension funds.

Examples of 2b solutions include the SE pension plan for self-employed individuals and the WO and WG pension plans - all available from the Substitute Occupational Benefit Institution. The 2b voluntary occupational pension fund plans from Agrisano Prevos, which caters specifically to self-employed farmers, is another example.

If you are unable to obtain membership in a 2b pension plan, you have the choice of either cashing out your 2a pension fund savings upon becoming self-employed, or placing your savings in a vested benefits account until you gain access to a new second pillar pension fund.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Vested benefits account comparison
3a retirement account comparison