Insurance cover for replacement car

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

My car was involved in an accident but I was not at fault. The repairs will take some time and I need to rent a car to use in the meantime. Can I send the car rental bill to the car insurance company?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings,

When your car is involved in an accident but another driver is at fault, the other driver's liability car insurance is responsible to pay for your damages.

The cost of renting a car while your vehicle is being repaired are also covered by the guilty party's car insurance, but only if you can prove that you are actually using the replacement car (if you need a car for your work or to commute, for example). If you are not sure whether your situation warrants a need for a replacement car, contact the insurance company in question to find out.

In any case, you have to front the cost of the rental vehicle and then claim reimbursement in arrears.

If you are the guilty party in an accident, you may be able to get the cost of a replacement car covered by your collision car insurance or comprehensive car insurance policy. Some insurance companies include this coverage or offer it as an optional rider.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Car insurance comparison
9 Ways to save on car insurance