Is a Swiss savings account instead of private account?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I have been using a "private account" which I pay around 50 francs a month for. I've kept my saving in that account as well but now that they amount to something I would like to put my money in an account that pays more interest. I also want to stop paying for a bank account if possible.

Considering that savings accounts are free and pay out much higher interest, couldn't I just put my money in a savings account and use that as my bank account? What can a private account do that a savings account cannot?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Savings accounts are designed to make it relatively difficult and expensive to dip into your savings. Most Swiss banks charge fees when you transfer money from a savings account to accounts at other Swiss banks. Most savings accounts require you to give notice when you make withdrawals above certain limits. The benefit of savings accounts is that you earn more interest and accounts are generally free of an annual fee.

If all you need is an account in which to receive payments and make withdrawals in cash to cover your budget, you can get by using only a savings account. Just be aware that some savings accounts only let you begin making withdrawals after you have held the accout for a certain amount of time (1 or 2 years, for example).

You can compare Swiss savings accounts and find detailed information about each account using the moneyland.ch savings accout comparison.

Private accounts, on the other hand, generally do not have fees for transfers to other Swiss bank accounts. There is normally no limit to the amount of money you can withdraw or transfer out of your account. Private accounts also allow for direct debits, recurring transactions, debit card use and electronic settlement of bills. Almost all Swiss private accounts have some form of monthly or annual fee.

If you are in the habit of settling payments using debit cards or electronic billing, making regular transfers to other bank accounts and paying recurring bills via direct debits, you may find a private account indespensable.

You can compare Swiss private accounts using the moneyland.ch private account comparison.

Best regards from Moneyguru