Is driving when tired considered gross negligence by Swiss car insurance?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Somebody told me that if the insurance company can prove that you were overtired when driving, they don't have to pay out claims. Since I drive home late after long workdays every day, that would pretty much mean I am not really insured. Is there any truth in this rumour?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Driving when you are extremely tired is considered gross negligence for insurance purposes.

Your Swiss compulsory liability car insurance will pay for damages to third-parties, but because you did not exercise due dilligence, the insurance company can legally request compensation from you.

If you have comprehensive or collission car insurance, your insurance provider may not fully cover damages to your car.

Many Swiss insurers let you add a rider to your policy which enables you to receive your full benefit in spite of gross negligence - at an additional premium.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Swiss car insurance comparison