Is my social security affected by my employer's bankruptcy?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

The bakery I've worked for the past 20 years just filed for bankruptcy and I am wondering how this affects my AHV pension. Will I lose part of my AHV savings?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Once your Swiss social security (AHV/AVS) savings are paid into your cantonal social security office they are not affected by your employer's bankruptcy. The full contributions, including the part paid by your employer, remain with the social security office.

However, it is a good idea to get a statement from the social security office to find out whether your employer paid all contributions due. If your statement shows that your employer did not pass on your contributions and pay their compulsory share, you can have the social security office make up the failed payments.

To do this, you will need to present salary statements for the period in question proving that you were employed and social security contributions were deducted by your employer during that time.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
3a retirement account comparison