Is paying for online purchases in advance a good idea?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Occasionally I buy something online and most of the time I pay for stuff right when I make the order using paypal, my Postfinance card, etc.

After a few bad experiences (not receiving stuff I ordered, receiving the wrong thing, getting clones instead of authentic items) in which I either didn't get my money back or only got it back after a long and tedious fight, I am wondering whether paying in advance is the best option. What do you think?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

As a general rule, you should avoid paying for goods and services in advance as much as possible. It is generally more difficult to get refunded after settling a payment than it is to withhold a payment until goods or services are delivered to your satisfaction.

This is especially the case when you shop online - particularly from merchants based outside of Switzerland - because it can be very difficult to get your money back once you have paid. Using a prepaid card, debit card, e-billing and other direct transfers to make payments before you receive good or services is not recommended.

Pay cash on delivery or ask the merchant to send you a bill or deposit slip whenever possible. If advance payment is required - as it often is when you make purchases online - using a credit card can be a good option because you can dispute charges with your credit card issuer before paying your card bill at the end of the month. If you can prove that goods or services paid for where not delivered, you may be able to avoid paying for them.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Online shopping: How to protect yourself from dynamic pricing