Keeping a Swiss custodial account when moving abroad

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hi people.

I have a very specific question:

I am a citizen of Germany and I have worked in Switzerland for several years and actively invested my money in the stock market (stocks and CFDs). I will be returning to Germany soon and would like to keep some of my stocks and manage my custodial account from Germany (and continue trading CFDs if possible).

Here are my questions:

• Is it possible to keep my Swiss custodial account?
  • Will I pay a lot of extra fees if I don't live in Switzerland (at Cornertrader Bank)?
  • How will gains be taxed? Do I pay tax in Germany, Switzerland or both? I will not transfer any new money from Germany into my Swiss account - just assets I earned while in Switzerland.)
  • Are there any other terms and conditions I should be aware of? Links would be helpful.

Thank you for your feedback.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

According to CornèrTrader, your place of residence has no affect on the fees you pay in your case. You pay the same fees whether you live in Germany or Switzerland.

However, other Swiss brokers may charge additional non-resident fees.

Best regards from Moneyguru